“What a liberation to realize that the ‘voice in my head’ is not who I am.” – Eckhart Tolle
A favorite blogger of mine has been doing posts on what’s saving her life at that time, and I think it’s a great way to focus on some positives. I’ve linked to an older post of hers because she explains where she got the idea. Basically, we can all quickly name everything going wrong in our lives right now, and what’s bringing us down, but how often do we stop to consider the other side? How often do we consider the things, big and small, that are saving our lives right now? If you’re still not sure what I mean, allow me to demonstrate with a few things that are saving my life right now:
- Fairy tale retellings. Usually ebooks found on Amazon for a dollar or two, I devour these books for their quick, familiar readability. We all know the fairy tales we grew up with, so it doesn’t take a lot of brain power to read through these adaptations. Some are ridiculous, some are pure fluff, but a lot of them have highlighted or brought attention to aspects of the originals that I had forgotten.
- Andie Mitchell keeping it real. Andie has been my favorite blogger for quite some time. While I admittedly am too picky of an eater to try a lot of her recipes, it’s when she goes deep and personal and shares her life story, that I find myself hanging on every word. I love her relationship with her mom, and really appreciate this latest post about what a healthy lifestyle looks like for her and how we’re all different, meaning our fitness and eating habits are going to all be different, too.
- Taron Egerton and Luke Evans. I just watched the movies, Sing! and Beauty and the Beast, and I was thoroughly impressed by both of these Welsh gentlemen and their singing abilities. Luke Evans was a superb Gaston, and Taron Egerton knocked his role on Sing! out of the park with his cover of “I’m Still Standing.” Seriously, it’s been stuck in my head for days! If that’s not enough to win you over, check out this video of both men pronouncing the name of a Welsh town Taron lived in: Luke Evans Welsh Off . How crazy is that name?? Bonus: if you look another video or two down, there’s a clip of them singing the bar song from Beauty and the Beast with Hugh Jackman. How can you go wrong with that?
- Prince Harry and people opening up about mental health. Did you catch the recent articles and videos that Prince Harry and his brother have done to raise awareness for mental health? Harry especially, opens up about dealing with their mom’s death at a young age, or more specifically, how he didn’t deal with it, and how much he bottled up and vented out in anger, partying, etc. Both brothers have military experience as well so they have seen and been around the effects of PTSD. They are speaking out to take away the stigma behind mental health issues, and have been funding and speaking for various charities on the subject. Most recently over the weekend, they helped host the London Marathon and took part in several activities with the runners and their charities. I don’t care how else you feel about the royal family, I love that these two men (and Kate) are using the spotlight they’ve been given to speak out about such important issues.
- Oprah Winfrey and Deepak Chopra have teamed up again to offer another great 21-day meditation. It’s just over halfway done with the free streaming, but I would still recommend jumping in where they’re at because the meditations I have caught have been amazing. This latest one focuses on hope in uncertain times, which I thick we can all agree is pretty relevant right now. Even current worldly events aside, the messages of overcoming fear and uncertainty and learning to hope have been so spot on for me lately. It feels like serendipity that so many things I’ve come across have been about mental health, fear, uncertainty, and all of the ways people are overcoming it, and ways that I can too. Once the free streaming is over, this is one I plan to purchase and refer back to repeatedly.
So there you have it! Some of the things saving my life right now are deep, hard hitting things that will bring about growth and change in my life. Other things are just working to bring a smile to my face. Either way, they’re saving my life. Maybe you’ll find some of the things I mentioned helpful or maybe at the very least, you’ll start thinking about what saves your life on a daily basis. If you’ve got some ideas, I’d love to hear them!